Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Return of the Square


The wisdom of the Crossroads necessarily incurs the humility of admitting that you cannot take both ways when standing at their crossing. Not at the same time.

Among the many blessings I have for living in São Paulo, I enrolled for a promising free workshop on Electronic Music and the computer as a musical instrument. The idea upon signing up was having the tools in my box for using when the time to record my demo came.

In the second of four nights, last night, I was confused, corpse-looking in front of the computer, angry at my inability of seeing music somewhere within all the mathematics, programmer lingo and the thirteeth Herculean task of taking any sound from an unforgiving, irresponsive computer.

To honour all the hard work I had in my Creative Recovery three years ago, I did not give myself the chance to just give up on something that simply is not for me. That was when, due to not having properly learnt the lesson that Awen will be Awen, my most basic Self rebelled, and, between a disagreement with my best friend and tiresome, endless calculations to get a mere 440Hz A, the urges of smacking the difficultator and breaking the computer down to pieces almost took over me.

I left the labs. I breathed. I grounded and re-aligned. I remembered who I was. A poet, a man of words, a voice that weaves stories into music. I realized that just because the whole fabulous cultural inheritance of Humanity in all ages is available to me, doesn’t mean I’ll have to master it all. And I set my feet firm on my own path back again.

Now, when the time comes, I’ll record my demo acappella. And meanwhile, if you need help with yours, I’ll write the lyrics and sing the harmonies.

0 comments: