Monday, July 10, 2006

Experiencing Odissi


Last Friday night I tried an Indian Dance class at SESC. Just awesome.

Even though Indian Dance (especially the variety called 'Odissi', the one I tried) is naturally very difficult to anyone raised in Latin America, due to the total lack of movement with the hips and lots of focus on hands, head and eyes, I did VERY well. I managed to follow about 60-70% of the steps and moves. Considering it was my first dance lesson EVER, I did VERY well.

The teacher told me after the class that I have 'a way' for Odissi, and that she could feel that I was enjoying it 'inside'. I told her I had never taken a dance class in my life, and I usually did pretty bad in dancing in public, and she said that this was good, because I was free from vices. I could hear what she was saying because in Brazil most 'traditional' dances use hip swings. Something I always sucked at.

I don't know if I'll continue on the Odissi lessons. If I do, I'll have to give up on the fiddle--which I would have already done if I didn't have invested money in purchasing my fiddle last month (failing to pass for the intermediate group this term was a major demotivation for me). I don't have time or money (or stamina) for both it and Odissi.

Suggestions?

0 comments: